Tucker: Good signing
Freedom Elz
2008-07-01 21:52:07 UTC
Lots of grit and passion and he can score a definite 20 goal guy. Good
signing.

His agent was on the radio in Toronto and apparently Detroit was one of 2
other teams that offered him a contract but Tucker felt Colorado was a
better place to raise a family.

Can't blame him there.
Thomas
2008-07-01 22:17:59 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Lots of grit and passion and he can score a definite 20 goal guy. Good
signing.
And the Canadiac fellatio continues.

The Tucker signing was an absolute abortion. Complete waste of money.

$2.25m for something McCormick or McLeod would have done for the league
minimum.

Horrible, awful signing by FG.

-Thomas
Freedom Elz
2008-07-01 22:48:15 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by Freedom Elz
Lots of grit and passion and he can score a definite 20 goal guy. Good
signing.
And the Canadiac fellatio continues.
Fuck off you stupid yankee pile of shit!
Post by Thomas
The Tucker signing was an absolute abortion. Complete waste of money.
Nope, that would be Jose Three or Four. He's going to cost the Caps a
playoff
spot.
Post by Thomas
$2.25m for something McCormick or McLeod would have done for the league
minimum.
Really? They've scored 20 goals before? Don't think so, sit the fuck down
and shut your whiny trap.
Post by Thomas
Horrible, awful signing by FG.
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.

Good job FG!
HockeyinHD
2008-07-01 23:23:39 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.
Good job FG!
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.

It has fallen to this.
kjk
2008-07-02 00:12:05 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.
Good job FG!
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
That same team also paid Jeff Finger an exorbitant amount of money to play
on their 2nd or possibly 1st pairing. Just sayin.
HockeyinHD
2008-07-02 00:36:09 UTC
Post by kjk
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.
Good job FG!
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
That same team also paid Jeff Finger an exorbitant amount of money to play
on their 2nd or possibly 1st pairing. Just sayin.
They're idiots, no doubt... but c'mon. You guys can't keep adding these 33
going on 40 guys.

At any rate, I absolutely don't want to hear anyone complaining about
'injuries' during the course of your upcoming season. You sign all these
guys with tons of miles to multi-year deals, you get what you get.
kjk
2008-07-02 00:49:29 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
At any rate, I absolutely don't want to hear anyone complaining about
'injuries' during the course of your upcoming season. You sign all these
guys with tons of miles to multi-year deals, you get what you get.
So our team's management sucks, and we're not allowed to complain about it?
If we enjoyed losing you guys would rag on us for going to 8-2 games and
smiling about it. There's some cognitive dissonance between the lines of
what you Wings people come in here to order and demand out of us. Oh,
believe me, we'll complain endlessly this year about the dumb moves, the
weak trades and especially the injured players, and you can just sit there
with your stupid grin and like it. Oh I do hope you'll be able to live with
that, what with having the best team in hockey and all.
Hockeyguy
2008-07-02 01:11:37 UTC
Post by kjk
Post by HockeyinHD
At any rate, I absolutely don't want to hear anyone complaining about
'injuries' during the course of your upcoming season. You sign all these
guys with tons of miles to multi-year deals, you get what you get.
So our team's management sucks, and we're not allowed to complain about
it? If we enjoyed losing you guys would rag on us for going to 8-2 games
and smiling about it. There's some cognitive dissonance between the lines
of what you Wings people come in here to order and demand out of us. Oh,
believe me, we'll complain endlessly this year about the dumb moves, the
weak trades and especially the injured players, and you can just sit there
with your stupid grin and like it. Oh I do hope you'll be able to live
with that, what with having the best team in hockey and all.
Very strange. Anyway this is the bottom line - the wings are consistently
a top tier team - avs are not. Yet, the avs fans continue to take swipes at
the wings for god knows why - maybe it makes them feel better about
themselves and maybe it make that feel that the situation in denver is not
as bleak as it appears (and it is man - trust me). I mean it is not even
remotely competitive on the ice anymore and hasn't been for years.

You have one hell of a mess in avs land. When the league took away the
opportunity for the avs managemenmt to buy their way out of problems and
mistakes (and be thus be competitive) you went to hell in a handbag. You
simple did not have the front office to manage the changes - money covers up
a lot of incompetence....they simply is no other reason to for the situation
in denver today.

No one takes enjoyment out of kicking any team when it is down - except that
dude that just jumped ship on you. But Christ man, a few of the moron avs
fan (and the one ex-fan) just beg to have someone put a pie in their
face....

I mean first granato then darcy tucker - what Jody Shelly wasn't available?
kjk
I really, really don't care.
Hockeyguy
Well if you do not care anymore you picked the right team to be a fan of....
kjk
Whatever gets you through the day you illiterate prole.
HockeyinHD
2008-07-03 00:09:32 UTC
Post by kjk
Post by Hockeyguy
Post by kjk
Yet, the avs fans continue to take swipes at the wings for god knows
why - maybe it makes them feel better about themselves and maybe it
make that feel that the situation in denver is not as bleak as it
appears (and it is man - trust me).
I really, really don't care.
Well if you do not care anymore you picked the right team to be a fan of....
Whatever gets you through the day you illiterate prole.
I want to laugh at that, but I don't know what a 'prole' is. Damn you for
making me open another browser window to translate the joke.
HockeyinHD
2008-07-02 01:12:33 UTC
Post by kjk
Post by HockeyinHD
At any rate, I absolutely don't want to hear anyone complaining about
'injuries' during the course of your upcoming season. You sign all these
guys with tons of miles to multi-year deals, you get what you get.
So our team's management sucks, and we're not allowed to complain about
it? If we enjoyed losing you guys would rag on us for going to 8-2 games
and smiling about it. There's some cognitive dissonance between the lines
of what you Wings people come in here to order and demand out of us. Oh,
believe me, we'll complain endlessly this year about the dumb moves, the
weak trades and especially the injured players, and you can just sit there
with your stupid grin and like it. Oh I do hope you'll be able to live
with that, what with having the best team in hockey and all.
Right about now I've got to think that it's a fairly bitter time to be an
Avs fan.

Reminds me of the mid 80's. Moderately miserable time to be a Wings fan.

Since then, though... not so bad. ;)
TJ
2008-07-02 06:05:45 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by kjk
Post by HockeyinHD
[...]
How the hell would you know? You didn't even watch hockey then.

-Thomas
HockeyinHD
2008-07-03 00:05:47 UTC
You're right. I was watching the Wings.
TJ
2008-07-03 05:36:54 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by TJ
Post by HockeyinHD
Reminds me of the mid 80's. Moderately miserable time to be a Wings fan.
How the hell would you know? You didn't even watch hockey then.
You're right. I was watching the Wings.
Excellent retort. As someone who was watching the Wings back then as
well, I feel ya.

-Thomas
HockeyinHD
2008-07-07 00:06:10 UTC
Post by TJ
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by TJ
Post by HockeyinHD
Reminds me of the mid 80's. Moderately miserable time to be a Wings fan.
How the hell would you know? You didn't even watch hockey then.
You're right. I was watching the Wings.
Excellent retort. As someone who was watching the Wings back then as
well, I feel ya.
When you go into a game not even caring what the score was going to be, as
long as Probert or Kocur got into a good one...

These were the discussions I had about hockey with the one or two other
people in my universe who knew it existed:

Them: "Hey, didn't the WIngs get pasted 7-3 last night?'
Me: "I don't know, I just remember <Wings enforcer> pasting <random other
player/coach/official/mascot> and making them bleed."
Thomas
2008-07-07 00:20:42 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by TJ
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by TJ
Post by HockeyinHD
Reminds me of the mid 80's. Moderately miserable time to be a Wings fan.
How the hell would you know? You didn't even watch hockey then.
You're right. I was watching the Wings.
Excellent retort. As someone who was watching the Wings back then as
well, I feel ya.
When you go into a game not even caring what the score was going to be, as
long as Probert or Kocur got into a good one...
I loved Klima and Hanlon (later in the 80s). I played goal, and I used
to have a fly fishing lure on the back of my mask just like Glen Hanlon
(hey, I was a kid). I hated Greg Stefan for starting in front of him and
because the kid down the street worshipped him.
Post by HockeyinHD
These were the discussions I had about hockey with the one or two other
Them: "Hey, didn't the WIngs get pasted 7-3 last night?'
Me: "I don't know, I just remember <Wings enforcer> pasting <random other
player/coach/official/mascot> and making them bleed."
I still remember when my dad would take me to Windsor Raceway and park
me in the room where they showed the hockey games and I'd watch Ron
Duguay and Reed Larson. I remember it wasn't until I got older that I
realized that the term "gay" didn't refer to someone with a perm-mullet,
and that it wasn't derived from Ron Duguay's name. Guy still gives me
the creeps to this day.

If he doesn't give you the creeps, here:

Prolly nothing new from Doug, I hear he's got that one on his wall.

-Thomas
HockeyinHD
2008-07-07 00:50:47 UTC
I still remember when my dad would take me to Windsor Raceway and park me
in the room where they showed the hockey games and I'd watch Ron Duguay
and Reed Larson.
Here's how you know things are bad on the ice.

You think Tim Chevaldae is an upgrade in goal. And he is.
Thomas
2008-07-07 08:44:13 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
I still remember when my dad would take me to Windsor Raceway and park me
in the room where they showed the hockey games and I'd watch Ron Duguay
and Reed Larson.
Here's how you know things are bad on the ice.
You think Tim Chevaldae is an upgrade in goal. And he is.
Cheveldae was good back in the day. For a little while.

Remember when Alain Chevrier looked like a brick wall against the Wings
in the 88-89 playoffs? That Game 6 is one of my least favorite moments
in hockey.

-Thomas
Freedom Elz
2008-07-02 01:08:04 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.
Good job FG!
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
The leafs are cleaning house and going with youth, JFJ gave Tucker insane
money, that has nothing to do with the Avs. Besides, the runner up for
Tucker was who you ask?

Your beloved red wings!
Post by HockeyinHD
It has fallen to this.
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
HockeyinHD
2008-07-02 01:13:22 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.
Good job FG!
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
The leafs are cleaning house and going with youth, JFJ gave Tucker insane
money, that has nothing to do with the Avs. Besides, the runner up for
Tucker was who you ask?
Your beloved red wings!
What did Detroit offer?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Freedom Elz
2008-07-02 01:30:18 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.
Good job FG!
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
The leafs are cleaning house and going with youth, JFJ gave Tucker insane
money, that has nothing to do with the Avs. Besides, the runner up for
Tucker was who you ask?
Your beloved red wings!
What did Detroit offer?
According to his agent the money was close, Tucker just didn't want to
move his family to Des trois.
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
WalkinDude
2008-07-02 01:46:16 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
The leafs are cleaning house and going with youth, JFJ gave Tucker insane
money, that has nothing to do with the Avs. Besides, the runner up for
Tucker was who you ask?
Your beloved red wings!
What did Detroit offer?
According to his agent the money was close, Tucker just didn't want to
move his family to Des trois.
Have the entire quote handy?

And what's "close"? And really, what's he going to say? "Well,
Detroit thought he was only worth $5, so we went with Colorado."

No, you do what agents do, you claim that multiple clubs were willing
to pay your client some decent coin, even if one's offering a million
less than the other.
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
It has fallen to this.
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
Given the expanded cap, why not? As broken as he is, he's still a
much better signing in that neighborhood than Tucker. At least you're
dealing with the possibility of some upside.

But he doesn't need Bertuzzi. If he signs a vet, it'll likely be a
vet who can try to push the team over the Cup hangover.
Freedom Elz
2008-07-02 02:02:14 UTC
Post by WalkinDude
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
It has fallen to this.
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
Given the expanded cap, why not? As broken as he is, he's still a
much better signing in that neighborhood than Tucker. At least you're
dealing with the possibility of some upside.
Whoa hold on a second. You do know that Tucker was battling
a shoulder injury all season long last year right? He still almost
scored 20 goals even in spite of it. He's a 3rd line winger
with attitude that'll get you 20 goals and drive the opposition nuts.

The Avs need a guy like that. The problem is Toronto thought he
was something more than that.

BTW, you didn't seriously use the word "upside" with Todd
Bertuzzi did you?
WalkinDude
2008-07-02 10:46:32 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by WalkinDude
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
Given the expanded cap, why not? As broken as he is, he's still a
much better signing in that neighborhood than Tucker. At least you're
dealing with the possibility of some upside.
Whoa hold on a second. You do know that Tucker was battling
a shoulder injury all season long last year right? He still almost
scored 20 goals even in spite of it. He's a 3rd line winger
with attitude that'll get you 20 goals and drive the opposition nuts.
I don't think he does much to fix the two biggest weaknesses the Avs
are facing:

1. Blueline, specifically as it relates to the power play

2. Goaltending
Post by Freedom Elz
The Avs need a guy like that. The problem is Toronto thought he
was something more than that.
The guy hasn't skated a full slate of games since the end of the
Clinton administration. He may be the oldest 33-year-old on the
planet. If half your team misses a lot of action next year, I don't
want to hear about it.

Look, it's not that it's a bad signing. You're not tying up a ton of
money. It's just that the signing feels much like watching the
captain of a sinking ship order new dinner plates as the bow's going
down.
Post by Freedom Elz
BTW, you didn't seriously use the word "upside" with Todd
Bertuzzi did you?
Of course I did. There's still a lot of potential upside with
Bertuzzi, in that somewhere within him lies the ability to play much
better hockey than he's played of late.

The betting money, however, is on not ever seeing it again.
Freedom Elz
2008-07-02 21:04:41 UTC
Post by WalkinDude
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by WalkinDude
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
Given the expanded cap, why not? As broken as he is, he's still a
much better signing in that neighborhood than Tucker. At least you're
dealing with the possibility of some upside.
Whoa hold on a second. You do know that Tucker was battling
a shoulder injury all season long last year right? He still almost
scored 20 goals even in spite of it. He's a 3rd line winger
with attitude that'll get you 20 goals and drive the opposition nuts.
I don't think he does much to fix the two biggest weaknesses the Avs
1. Blueline, specifically as it relates to the power play
Agreed, he doesn't there were precious few players that would
address that need.
Post by WalkinDude
2. Goaltending
There was no one on the market that would address that need.
Post by WalkinDude
Post by Freedom Elz
The Avs need a guy like that. The problem is Toronto thought he
was something more than that.
The guy hasn't skated a full slate of games since the end of the
Clinton administration. He may be the oldest 33-year-old on the
planet. If half your team misses a lot of action next year, I don't
want to hear about it.
Good Clinton administrtion refernece aside, if he plays 70 games
ad gets 20 goals, what the hell do I care how old he is? He's
adds grit to the 3rd line, I'm good with that.
Post by WalkinDude
Look, it's not that it's a bad signing. You're not tying up a ton of
money. It's just that the signing feels much like watching the
captain of a sinking ship order new dinner plates as the bow's going
down.
Yeah, I think Avs/Wings fans are used to seeing major moves at the
deadline and on Canada Day, there wasn't much to address htier needs
with this year. Hossa would be a waste of money, just a nother soft
player for the Avs.
Post by WalkinDude
Post by Freedom Elz
BTW, you didn't seriously use the word "upside" with Todd
Bertuzzi did you?
Of course I did. There's still a lot of potential upside with
Bertuzzi, in that somewhere within him lies the ability to play much
better hockey than he's played of late.
He's lder than Tucker, has chronic bck problems as well as problems
upstairs.
Yep.
Hockeyguy
2008-07-02 02:06:22 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
It has fallen to this.
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
Look dude - Holland could have signed the cookie monster (less the hand) and
it would still be better front office move than that special Olympics outfit
in Denver that came up with Granato, tucker, re-upping liles, parker,
raycroff, budaj (please tell me when to stop)....
TJ
2008-07-02 06:11:15 UTC
Post by Hockeyguy
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
It has fallen to this.
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
Look dude - Holland could have signed the cookie monster (less the hand) and
it would still be better front office move than that special Olympics outfit
in Denver that came up with Granato, tucker, re-upping liles, parker,
raycroff, budaj (please tell me when to stop)....
Hey now...
Avs didn't make a move with regards to Budaj other than hanging him
out to dry as a starter instead of the backup that he is.

And the Liles re-sign was a good move. They got him a hell of a lot
cheaper than he would have been a day later.

-Thomas
TJ
2008-07-02 06:08:40 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
It has fallen to this.
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
That'd be one year and about half a mil more than I'd want the Wings
to pay if I were a Wings fan. But if the Wings went out and signed him
for that, they would be understandably excited.

-Thomas
HockeyinHD
2008-07-03 00:07:57 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.
Good job FG!
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
The leafs are cleaning house and going with youth, JFJ gave Tucker insane
money, that has nothing to do with the Avs. Besides, the runner up for
Tucker was who you ask?
Your beloved red wings!
What did Detroit offer?
According to his agent the money was close, Tucker just didn't want to
move his family to Des trois.
That's a fair reason. It's really up to the player, Elz. If you think I
should feel bad about Detroit because Darcy Tucker didn't want to take a
marginal pay cut to come here when Hossa took a ginormous one to, probably
not the day to try that one out. :)
Post by Freedom Elz
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
Yuck. I'd be pissed. The guy just got a huge buyout check, so fuck him if
he'd think the Wings would pay him that much.
Freedom Elz
2008-07-03 00:29:03 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Good signing, no risk, cheap price tag and he's healthy.
Good job FG!
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid
an exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
The leafs are cleaning house and going with youth, JFJ gave Tucker insane
money, that has nothing to do with the Avs. Besides, the runner up for
Tucker was who you ask?
Your beloved red wings!
What did Detroit offer?
According to his agent the money was close, Tucker just didn't want to
move his family to Des trois.
That's a fair reason. It's really up to the player, Elz. If you think I
should feel bad about Detroit because Darcy Tucker didn't want to take a
marginal pay cut to come here when Hossa took a ginormous one to, probably
not the day to try that one out. :)
Did Hossa really take a ginormous pay cut? I don't think he did and since he
only signed for one year that tells you something. According to Holland
it was Hossa that proposed the one year thing. It sure sounds like he's
hoping
for a quick cup and then he'll move on to somewhere that he wants to
live and can make huge bucks. Its a one year shot with the wings, they
won't be able to pay him, Zetterberg and Franzen next off season AND
a goalie.
I agree.
HockeyinHD
2008-07-03 01:35:01 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
That's a fair reason. It's really up to the player, Elz. If you think I
should feel bad about Detroit because Darcy Tucker didn't want to take a
marginal pay cut to come here when Hossa took a ginormous one to,
probably not the day to try that one out. :)
Did Hossa really take a ginormous pay cut?
For what it's worth, Edmonton 'allegedly' had a 5 year 50 mil deal on the
table for Hossa. Kukla's had some stories on this, IIRC.
Post by Freedom Elz
I don't think he did and since he
only signed for one year that tells you something. According to Holland
it was Hossa that proposed the one year thing. It sure sounds like he's
hoping
for a quick cup and then he'll move on to somewhere that he wants to
live and can make huge bucks. Its a one year shot with the wings, they
won't be able to pay him, Zetterberg and Franzen next off season AND
a goalie.
Maybe, maybe not. In interviews Holland has said that he'd like Hossa to be
in Detroit long term, but that the uncertaintly of the 2009-10 cap number
makes locking him up now a problem, since obviously guys like Zetterberg and
Franzen are priorities too and their contracts are up after this year.

As far as goaltending goes, again, Detroit has Osgood for two more years.
They have Conklin now and I have no reason to doubt that if he succeeds in a
2a/1b role with 30-ish starts that the Wings would hesitate to extend him.
If not him, then maybe they could limp along for one year with Howard. If
Hossa doesn't return, well, that's 7.4 mil plus cap increase less Z and
Franzen's raises to go out and look for another option in net.

There are plenty of permutations out there which would work out well for the
Wings.
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Let's say $2.75 million a year for two years.
Yuck. I'd be pissed. The guy just got a huge buyout check, so fuck him
if he'd think the Wings would pay him that much.
I agree.
I think it's a moot point now, what with the Wings sitting at the mid 54's
cap wise and with a crazy-good top 6, but a 1 year deal at 2-2.5 would've
been fine by me.
Freedom Elz
2008-07-03 13:53:44 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
That's a fair reason. It's really up to the player, Elz. If you think
I should feel bad about Detroit because Darcy Tucker didn't want to take
a marginal pay cut to come here when Hossa took a ginormous one to,
probably not the day to try that one out. :)
Did Hossa really take a ginormous pay cut?
For what it's worth, Edmonton 'allegedly' had a 5 year 50 mil deal on the
table for Hossa. Kukla's had some stories on this, IIRC.
Yeah, the canucks also offered 20 million to Sundin for 2 years. I think
that is why
Hossa took a 1 year deal, he wants the dough but didn't want to go to the
markets offering obscene dough to him. And it is obscene, he's a great
complementary piece for team like the wings but he's not a franchise
player that you build around.
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
I don't think he did and since he
only signed for one year that tells you something. According to Holland
it was Hossa that proposed the one year thing. It sure sounds like he's
hoping
for a quick cup and then he'll move on to somewhere that he wants to
live and can make huge bucks. Its a one year shot with the wings, they
won't be able to pay him, Zetterberg and Franzen next off season AND
a goalie.
Maybe, maybe not. In interviews Holland has said that he'd like Hossa to
be in Detroit long term, but that the uncertaintly of the 2009-10 cap
number makes locking him up now a problem, since obviously guys like
Zetterberg and Franzen are priorities too and their contracts are up after
this year.
Yes, that's my point. If Hossa wins a cup with the wings and hits the open
market he could be more marketable than he was this year.
Post by HockeyinHD
As far as goaltending goes, again, Detroit has Osgood for two more years.
At some point the wings are going to have to get a goalie and next yarh if
Miller
makes it to free agency they'll be hot after him along with several teams
and
he'll command big dough.
Post by HockeyinHD
They have Conklin now and I have no reason to doubt that if he succeeds in
a 2a/1b role with 30-ish starts that the Wings would hesitate to extend
him. If not him, then maybe they could limp along for one year with
Howard. If Hossa doesn't return, well, that's 7.4 mil plus cap increase
less Z and Franzen's raises to go out and look for another option in net.
There are plenty of permutations out there which would work out well for
the Wings.
If Hossa's leaves the wings will have enough room to do what they want/need.
As
far as we know the cap could go up another 6 million next year.
Post by HockeyinHD
I really don't see what he brings that the wings would need.
WalkinDude
2008-07-03 21:42:56 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
I agree.
I think it's a moot point now, what with the Wings sitting at the mid 54's
cap wise and with a crazy-good top 6, but a 1 year deal at 2-2.5 would've
been fine by me.
I really don't see what he brings that the wings would need.
With Drake likely retiring, he'd bring some more grit, plus a bit of
offense that Drake doesn't provide.
HockeyinHD
2008-07-07 00:09:55 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Maybe, maybe not. In interviews Holland has said that he'd like Hossa to
be in Detroit long term, but that the uncertaintly of the 2009-10 cap
number makes locking him up now a problem, since obviously guys like
Zetterberg and Franzen are priorities too and their contracts are up
after this year.
Yes, that's my point. If Hossa wins a cup with the wings and hits the open
market he could be more marketable than he was this year.
?

Wait... what? I thought your initial point was that you weren't sure Hossa
took a ginormous paycut?
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
As far as goaltending goes, again, Detroit has Osgood for two more years.
At some point the wings are going to have to get a goalie and next yarh if
Miller
makes it to free agency they'll be hot after him along with several teams
and
he'll command big dough.
Enh. Like I said before, there are some pretty big names coming up in two
years.

Just imagine this team with Luongo, who'd be coming up right when Lidstrom's
deal is expiring.
Post by Freedom Elz
If Hossa's leaves the wings will have enough room to do what they
want/need. As
far as we know the cap could go up another 6 million next year.
The NHLPA can bump it up 5% regardless, so even if revenues stay flat the 5%
bump would raise the cap 3 mil.
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
I think it's a moot point now, what with the Wings sitting at the mid
54's cap wise and with a crazy-good top 6, but a 1 year deal at 2-2.5
would've been fine by me.
I really don't see what he brings that the wings would need.
Bertuzzi on the second line or Mikael Samuelsson?

Now do you see what he brings? :)

Shit, he isn't an upgrade over Holmstrom on Day 1?
Thomas
2008-07-07 08:46:14 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
Maybe, maybe not. In interviews Holland has said that he'd like Hossa to
be in Detroit long term, but that the uncertaintly of the 2009-10 cap
number makes locking him up now a problem, since obviously guys like
Zetterberg and Franzen are priorities too and their contracts are up
after this year.
Yes, that's my point. If Hossa wins a cup with the wings and hits the open
market he could be more marketable than he was this year.
?
Wait... what? I thought your initial point was that you weren't sure Hossa
took a ginormous paycut?
He didn't take that much of a paycut at all. He's a great scorer, but he
has to have a playmaker with him or he's not productive. He's a really
good, durable, clutch version of Marek Svatos.

He could have made a mil, mil.5 more if he went elsewhere. Nothing
enormous by any stretch.

-Thomas
HockeyinHD
2008-07-07 15:33:29 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
[...]
Too funny. Hossa had 50 and 85 million dollar offers which he turned down
for a 7.45 mil one, and listen to these guys.

I like the Svatos comparison, too. That got a chuckle, I admit it.
TJ
2008-07-02 06:07:17 UTC
Post by HockeyinHD
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
It has fallen to this.
And what will you say when/if Ken Holland re-signs Bertuzzi?
Depends on what amount he signs him for.
Pretty logical, really. Tooz at $2.25m a year is a bargain. A hell of
a lot better bargain than Tucker would be.

Tooz at $6m would be an abortion. Tooz at $6m would be about the same
as paying Tucker $2.25m.

-Thomas
Hockeyguy
2008-07-02 01:17:26 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Post by HockeyinHD
You're celebrating the acquisition of a guy who's previous team paid an
exhorbitant amount of money to just go away.
The leafs are cleaning house and going with youth, JFJ gave Tucker insane
money, that has nothing to do with the Avs. Besides, the runner up for
Tucker was who you ask?
Your beloved red wings!
word out of Detroit is Holland was just trying to bait the avs into a
bidding war, avs took the bait and Holland won a bet with Yzerman that you
would fall for it. Darcy Tucker - oh man....but at least Holland is $100
bucks richer tonight...
WalkinDude
2008-07-01 23:34:26 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by Freedom Elz
Lots of grit and passion and he can score a definite 20 goal guy. Good
signing.
And the Canadiac fellatio continues.
The Tucker signing was an absolute abortion. Complete waste of money.
$2.25m for something McCormick or McLeod would have done for the league
minimum.
Horrible, awful signing by FG.
Well, you think not signing Theodore at $4.5 mil was a bad thing, so
we sort of have to balance out this opinion with that.

For the record, I think they should've passed on both guys. Tucker's
done.

Is this the "youth movement" everyone's been waiting for?
Bushay
2008-07-01 22:33:56 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Lots of grit and passion and he can score a definite 20 goal guy. Good
signing.
His agent was on the radio in Toronto and apparently Detroit was one of 2
other teams that offered him a contract but Tucker felt Colorado was a
better place to raise a family.
Can't blame him there.
LOL!

You keep on believing that.

If the same offer is on the table he takes the the Detroit offer and gives
back a million. I see your still living a dream.
Chris
2008-07-02 22:13:06 UTC
Post by Freedom Elz
Lots of grit and passion and he can score a definite 20 goal guy. Good
signing.
He's a good guy to have on the team, but will he matter in the least?

Chris